It’s been a while. I didn’t stop watching college football, but the enthusiasm does wane when FSU’s season goes south. Ah well.
1. Texas — I think you can put them and SC in a hat, but I just think they have a larger number of really impressive wins. They’ve been absolutely steamrolling teams that range from rather good (Texas Tech) to not bad and better than you might think (Baylor).
2. USC — Either way, it doesn’t really matter who’s 1 and who’s 2. These are the two best teams, nobody is going to beat either one and we should have an incredible national title game.
3. Alabama — They should have lost to Tennessee. But they didn’t. They’re undefeated, in the SEC, and that’s good enough for me. If they can run the table, though, it will be hard to justify keeping them out of the Rose Bowl — LSU, Auburn and then the SEC title game.
4. Miami — After they eviscerated VaTech, I’m with the pollsters — this is the best one-loss team in the country. I’m absolutely dreading an FSU rematch with these guys. Ugh.
5. Penn State — I love the way this team can put up points. Smacking Wisconsin around was a really good win.
6. Georgia — They were docked way too much for losing to Florida. They always lose to Florida. It’s just the way it is. This is a tough team, very complete, and it can do a lot of things well. I expect them to finish the regular season 10-1 and give Alabama a real run in the SEC championship.
7. Virginia Tech — Still a very good team, they just ran into an ultra-motivated and very talented Miami squad. I wouldn’t want to play them next, that’s for sure (hi, UVa!).
8. LSU — Something about this team just doesn’t thrill me, and I can’t put my finger on it. A win at ‘Bama would change that, though.
9. Ohio State — They have two close losses to two very good teams. If I have Texas and Penn State in the top-5, and I do, then I can’t really dock OSU too much for losing to them.
10. Texas Tech — That’s right, no ND in my top-10. Look at all their supposed signature wins — everyone they’ve beaten has turned out to be vastly overrated. ND’s best win is its loss to USC.
Teams to watch: West Virginia, Colorado, Georgia Tech, South Carolina
Game of the Week: Sure, I could say either of the heavyweight SEC games, ‘Bama-LSU or Auburn-Georgia, but I’m going to go somewhere else. Because no matchup makes me grin this week quite like Florida at South Carolina. The Gamecocks keep getting better, and back-to-back road wins are a nice accomplishment. And you know they’ll be geeked for UF to come to town. This will be great stuff. Can’t wait to see it.