The weather is miserable (cold and windy), but your faithful correspondent’s tummy is full. I just polished off a Tony Luke’s cheesesteak. Mmmm… cheesesteak. My favorite cheesesteak at Citizens Bank Park was Geno’s, but there is no longer a Geno’s stand here. Second-best, however, is still pretty doggone good.
In honor of Philly’s great delicacy, here is a list of my top-5 favorite ballpark concessions items from around the National League. (in no particular order)
* Nachos at Shea Stadium, but only from a particular stand around home plate on the mezz level. If you know the place, you know what I’m talking about.
* A cheesesteak at CBP — Tony Luke’s is the place to go for me these days.
* Skyline Chili cheese coney at Great American Ball Park.
* Garlic fries at AT&T Park, with honorable mention to the Krispy Kreme doughnuts at AT&T, and also the beer selection — you can get Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada on tap. Obviously the beer is not for work days.
* Garcia’s burrito at Chase Field (the artist formerly known as the BOB). This item gets a special mention because there’s a special press/employee discount. Very good times indeed.
Sadly, Super Smokers is gone, or a pulled pork sandwich from Super Smokers at Busch Stadium would crack the list. Super Smokers, you are missed.
A couple of AL favorites, though I can’t really list them knowledgably since I don’t get to AL parks that often: Corn off the cob at U.S. Cellular Field (I wrote an entire story centered on this item once); a sausage from a sausage stand outside Fenway Park; BBQ from Gates BBQ at Kauffman Stadium.
What are your favorites?