Pujols in, Mulder out
Here’s the skinny…
1. Albert Pujols was activated from the DL today. He’s starting at first base and batting third. He said everything feels normal and he’s good to go.
2. Mark Mulder was placed on the 15-day DL with what the team is calling a left shoulder strain, but the whole thing is pretty odd. Mulder basically can’t get full extension of his arm, and that’s all they really seem to be sure of.
No muscle or tendon or anything has been identified as the culprit. He’ll be examined tomorrow by Dr. Paletta in St. Louis. According to TLR, there’s a pretty good chance that they’ll hold him out through the All-Star break, but nothing is set in stone until they check everything out.
3. As expected, Anthony Reyes was added to the roster to make the start tonight. The final piece of roster juggling was that Chris Duncan was optioned to Memphis.
4. Sidney Ponson threw a bullpen today and will take Mulder’s turn in the rotation on Sunday.
5. Jim Edmonds is in the lineup.
I’ll have more depth on all of this, of course, in my notebook later this evening.