Sorry for the absence. OK, really, I’m not sorry. I’m glad to have had the All-Star break. Wish it had been about a day longer. But anyway, let’s get going with the second half. Here are seven more questions for y’all to give me your thoughts on. As before, I’ll give my opinions in a few days after we’ve gotten plenty of responses.
1. The Cardinals begin the second half at 48-39. How many wins will they end the season with? Just for reference, if they win the same percentage after the break they’ll finish up 89-73.
2. As I write this, the Reds are four games back, the Brewers trail by 5 1/2 and the Astros by six. Who scares you the most?
3. If there’s one player not on the Major League roster that you would absolutely not trade in any deal, who is it? Why?
4. What should they do with the No. 2 spot in the order? Is there one person you’d put there every day? Mix and match based on the pitcher? Make it whoever is in left field? Make it whoever is at second base? Put Encarnacion back there? Edmonds? The possibilities are limitless — what’s your call?
5. Thanks to Derrick Goold of the Post-Dispatch and Bird Land for this one… What’s your favorite baseball book?
6. What’s the song of the summer thus far for you?
7. Who’s your favorite national sportscasting voice? Current or retired, even deceased is OK. Who’s the one person you most love to hear calling a game on TV or the radio? I’m not talking about individual team people, like Vin Scully or Chick Hearn. We’ll ask that question next week. This week I’m talking about national voices, and people who call (or called) games — not studio hosts.