My lucky seven
Here are my choices for last week’s Lucky Seven questions…
1. For me it’s Rolen, simply because on any given night, he’s so likely to give you a ‘wow’ moment, either offensively or defensively. Best infield arm I’ve seen, so quick, dangerous hitter, terrific baserunner. Without taking anything away from Pujols, whom I’ll tell my grandkids I got to watch play every day, the guy I most enjoy watching play ball is Rolen.
2. Lot of good choices here, from Roy Oswalt to Mike Cameron to Francisco Rodriguez to Ichiro, but I think I go with Jose Reyes. I saw him go from first to third on an infield groundout in a Spring Training game once, and that was just one of the coolest thing I’ve ever seen in a baseball game.
3. This year it has to be Soriano, since he leads everybody in both OBP and slugging out of the 1 spot.
4. Taking price into consideration, I’d say Suppan. I think he’s better than this year’s numbers and he’s the one guy likely to be something of a bargain. If price is not an element, then I go with Mulder, who I expect to return to being quite effective.
5. I expect them to work out some sort of deal to take him through 2008. I think at this point I’d just pick up the option, since the marginal cost is only $7MM, you’re not going to find anyone better at that cost and then you’re only on the hook for one year.