Fall starts tomorrow!
Tomorrow night brings my other favorite sport in the world, college football. In honor of that, a few random things related to the great Saturday game.
First, the first installment of my weekly top-10. This is not a prediction; this is more like a power poll. These are what I believe to be the 10 best teams. To put it another way, if every team played an equally difficult schedule, these are the 10 teams I believe would be my top-10 at the end of the year.
1. USC; I’m less sure now than I was a few weeks back, but I still think this team is just loaded.
2. Texas; still the champs until somebody beats them, and they’re loaded on both sides
3. Ohio State; lot of talent, but I have nagging questions
4. LSU; hard to see any weaknesses with this team; I’d have an easy time seeing them anywhere in the top-5
5. Notre Dame; Awesome offense; not sold on the defense
6. Florida State; reloaded, didn’t rebuild, on defense; great skill position talent on offense
7. Miami; underrate them at your own peril — maybe the country’s best D
8. Auburn; solid, deep, seemingly unspectacular all around, but no fun to play
9. Cal; a trendy pick in places, but they can run, they can defend and they’ll develop a QB
10. Florida; another scary defense; but can they run?
Teams to watch: Clemson (my No. 1 sleeper this year), WVU/Louisville (closer in my eyes to each other than most people think), BC, Nebraska (from the category of, everyone’s saying they’re underrated so they’ll soon be overrated), Alabama
Game of the week: Miami-FSU, obviously. But don’t miss Georgia Tech-ND. Calvin Johnson is awesome; is there any way ND can stop him?
And finally, some of the places on the web I go for my Saturday fix:
- Sunday Morning Quarterback. The best reading about CFB on a daily basis.
- CollegeFootballNews.com. I don’t always agree with them, but great depth and breadth.
- BlogPoll. In short, way better than the AP or USA Today poll, and more fun to read, too.
- Tomahawk Nation and The Chop Shop. The two best FSU blogs I’ve found.
- Every Day Should Be Saturday. They’re Gators, and I still read them. That says it all.
Anyway. Let’s tee it up!