My Lucky Seven/PLEASE VOTE
OK, second thing first. Please, please, please vote today. If the people representing us think that we don’t care enough to even step out of the house for a few minutes once every two years, then what motivation do they have to do right by us? Seriously. My politics are probably fairly easy to guess, but even if you don’t agree, please vote. It’s in all of our best interest.
End of sermon. Now, my answers for last week’s Lucky Seven. I’m shuffling iTunes at the moment, just had New Order, Moby, Flanders, Journey and Imogen Heap come up. Not a bad run. Anyway.
1. I think Edmonds should be the highest priority, because as I’ve written elsewhere, I don’t think you can upgrade on him for the $7 million marginal cost.
2. I’m not crazy about Ray Durham’s defense, but I love his bat. He’d be a perfect fit in the 2 spot in the lineup. I’m not as high on Kennedy and Loretta as a lot of people are. Counsell’s a nice defender, very nice, but he’s had pretty low OBPs three of the past four years. All things being equal, I think I’d go with Durham, because this team could use the offensive upgrade.
3. I got a LOT of stuff for other people. For myself, I got one of the official baseballs. I collect baseballs. Could never find a WS cap I liked — one with just the series logo, no team logos. Ah well. I have no shortage of baseball caps.
4. I guess what I was getting at here was, for y’all as fans, is the sting of the 2004 WS loss any less now that the core won a title? Personally, I’m one of those heretics who think that there’s a huge amount of randomness and weirdness in the postseason, so I still view 2004 as a truly elite team, one of the best teams I’ve ever seen play.
5. I think I’ll remember Molina’s home run. But really, the entirety of Game 7 in NY was truly spectacular baseball. Maybe the best 9-inning game I’ve ever seen in person.
6. I’ll go with Michigan and Louisville, and I think it’d be a really fun game. I’ve been on the UL bandwagon all year. If they’re 12-0, I’d have zero problem with them playing for it over a one-loss team from the SEC or Big 10.
7. I’m with y’all, haven’t gotten to any recently. But I’m dying to see The Departed. Hopefully this week.