My lucky seven
Here are my calls for this past week’s Lucky Seven:
1. I’d have to agree with y’all, the infield is pretty stout. I’d like to see more offense from catcher, so I separate that unit, but the four infielders make a fine group.
2. The greatest concern right now seems to be the outfield, more because of Edmonds than anything. If he’s right, if he can even hit like he did in ’05 (never mind ’04), it makes a huge difference in the offense. If he’s not up to standards, it’s a problem. I think they can mix and match pretty effectively in right field.
3. IF everyone is healthy: Duncan nearly every day in LF. Edmonds nearly every day in CF. Rodriguez and Encarnacion splitting time in RF, and Wilson getting ABs against LHP in LF and CF. Taguchi as a defensive guy but not playing much offense.
4. St. Louis, Milwaukee, Houston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
5. All the starters, but especially Adam Wainwright’s thus-far seamless transition. I’m expecting a big year from him.
6. This one is fairly easy at this point, seems to be. Before the tournament, however, I did all right — Georgetown, UCLA, Florida and Texas A&M. Amazing that I’m completely out of the mix despite calling three of the four right.
7. I’ve thought about this one a lot. Came up with a couple, including a variation of the one I listed at the start: James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic and Prince… But I think a real dream bill would be: Jeff Buckley first, Pearl Jam second and The Who (in their prime) as the headliner. We should revisit this one, though.