Lucky Seven, the-sky-is-falling edition
Here’s the first Lucky Seven ever posted with the Cardinals 0-3. For what that’s worth.
1. People seem pretty dissatisfied with the outfield so far. What’s the solution? Call up Rodriguez and play him regularly? Commit to Ankiel? Remember that , if Anks is called up, you’re pretty much committing to playing him every day because he needs the ABs. Make a trade, and if so for whom? (Milwaukee has excess OFs, to name one option, but remember if you trade to get an OF, you remove one chip for a possible trade for bullpen help). Play Schumaker every day, or otherwise re-jigger the playing time of the guys currently on the roster? Sit tight and have faith that things will work out? Nothing is off limits, but remember that any action has real-world consequences.
2. Same question, but about the bullpen. If you don’t like it, what do you propose they do about it? Or do you think the bullpen is just fine? Any well-considered viewpoint is invited.
3. Grade Wells’ and Looper’s first starts. Why did you like or not like what you saw? What do you want to see them do going forward?
4. What’s your take on the overall level of play by the Cards to this point? Championship hangover? Distracted by ceremonies and whatnot? Just not a very good ballclub? Playing decent but a couple of key points have turned against them? A good team that simply had a bad series? Basically, what do you make of games 1-3 in terms of things like defense, baserunning, quality of at-bats, etc.?
5. What player impressed you most in the first few days of the season from games OTHER than the Mets-Cards series?
6. As a follow-up to last week, what’s the best city in America for a weekend getaway? The catch is this — you can’t name any of the three most obvious (to me): New York, Chicago and San Francisco are all off limits.
7. Also as a follow-up to last week, what’s the last fiction book you read that you would heartily recommend to someone?