The thing is just too bloody long. The event is great, but way too much filler. But anyway, a few tidbits…
* This should help end the myth that AT&T Park favors LH hitters. Bonds is ridiculous — he hits all those home runs DESPITE the park. It’s a brutal park for left-handed power.
* With that in mind, notice how AP swung tonight. In Chicago in 03, he was all over the field, left right and center. Tonight, everything was pulled, because that’s where you have to hit it.
* Dave McKay joked that Berman jinxed Pujols by mentioning that he had no outs yet in the second round, after which Pujols immediately made several outs in a row.
* McKay and Pujols both said that it was absolutely brutal to see in the early rounds. It was tough on the hitters, leading to the low totals, and it even had some effect in that the pitchers started lobbing them even more than usual in hopes of making sure the hitters could see.
* AP had a big smile on his face in the clubhouse afterwards. It was clear that he really enjoyed it, and he absolutely loved having AJ there.
* Vlad Guerrero is awesome. Man it’s fun to see him just erupt on the ball like he does. I appreciate the guys with smooth, easy effortless swings too, but it’s really entertaining to see explosive swings like his. And according to people I’ve talked to, he’s also a terrific guy. So it was cool to see him win.
-M, ready for dinner.