Monday camp tidbits
* Saw a few guys throw today, but one who stood out was Jason Motte. The guy has a seriously big arm. I’ll be featuring him in my notebook later today. Meanwhile, every time I talk to any member of the brass, the pitching name that keeps coming up is Kyle McClellan. They all love him.
* One thing to note — it seems like every time I or the P-D talks to John Mozeliak about outfielders, the three names he mentions are Ankiel, Duncan and Ludwick. TLR is obviously much more reluctant to single out players at this point in camp, so he’s harder to get a read on. But as far as the GM goes, it definitely appears that Ludwick is in good position. And rightly so, IMO — he’s a valuable player.
* The Cards worked out Kris Honel, former White Sox farmhand, today. One-time first-round pick who throws hard and has had trouble harnessing it.
* The FOTs (Friends of Tony) have started showing up. Today, former Packers GM Ron Wolf was around, and I hear Bob Knight may be soon to follow. Basketballer John Havlicek has also made an appearance.
* Looking like we could get rain for Wednesday’s SLU game. Ugh.
* Wainwright vs Santana on Friday. Sure, it’s only two innings each, but that’s good stuff.
Check out my mailbag and notebook, as well as a column from Mike Bauman, later today.