Wednesday camp tidbits
Bits and pieces on a gray, gloomy day…
* Brian Barton is back and cleared. He and Weinberg both referred to his checkup as essentially precautionary, and Barry said he’s cleared with no restrictions. Barton is in the lineup today as the DH, batting second.
* Lineup, though I know it’s already up elsewhere in the blogosphere: 1. Rasmus CF; 2. Barton DH; 3. Mather RF; 4. Phelps DH; 5. Haerther LF; 6. Freese 3B; 7. Barden SS; 8. Pagnozzi C; 9. Hoffpauir 2B. TLR indicated that the veterans won’t even stick around for the game. He expects to have a very short bench, so the kids will play.
* Speaking of the kids, it’s going to be a tough row for OFs to hoe, other than the seven main guys (Ank, Dunc, Lud, Schu, Raz, Gonz, Barton). TLR basically said that for guys like Mather and Haerther, the ABs will be very hard to find after the first few days.
* They held the MLBPA meeting today, so the first 90 minutes or so of the morning were spent behind closed doors. Don Fehr was not present, because he’s in Washington.
* My friend and colleague Jonathan Mayo from MiLB.com is in camp today, checking in with the Baby ‘Birds. He’ll have an organization preview and Spring Training report on the Cards organization that will run on MiLB.com on Friday, so please do check it out. He does good work and is a good dude.
As always, please do check the site later today for notes, game coverage and a Colby Rasmus feature.
-M, in a very Buffett kind of mood this morning. Hooray, Radio Margaritaville!