Friday afternoon camp tidbits
* To cap off the morning’s rotation notes, Wellemeyer will get the start Sunday. It will be Thompson on Monday, then Reyes on Tuesday. Looper, whose turn is Tuesday, will pitch in the Minors. The idea is that they don’t want him facing Washington 10 days before he will face them in the regular season.
* Jason Isringhausen is scheduled to pitch again tomorrow, his first times going back-to-back this spring.
* Ryan Ludwick hit the ball very hard today. His single was solidly struck, although it dropped in pretty short. He hit a rocket of a line drive, then thumped a home run. Probably the best I’ve seen him hit it all year.
Speaking of Ludwick, this morning, I was interviewing D’Angelo Jimenez — whose locker is right next to Ludwick’s. At the end of the lineup, I said to Jimenez, ‘Are you going to drive in Ludwick today?’ Ludwick joked, ‘If I get on first base and he hits a single, I’m scoring.’
Well, what do you know? Ludwick got on first base with a single. He took second on a wild pitch, then scored on a Jimenez single. Not exactly like it was drawn up, but not a bad call.
* TLR praised D’Angelo Jimenez’s approach, even though Jimenez took two called third strikes with runners on base.
* Brendan Ryan has a very long day scheduled with the doctors tomorrow. It sounds like they’ll be doing all sorts of exams on him to make sure he’s dealing with exactly what they think he’s got.
Elvis Costello, "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes"
John Mayer Trio, "Good Love Is On the Way"
Steve Winwood, "Different Light"
Bruce Springsteen, "Jungleland"
Everclear, "Her Brand New Skin"