Monday afternoon tidbits: Anks still out
Greetings from “America’s Finest City” — though I really don’t need to put it in quotes. Not only is it a nickname, it’s a true description. And it sounds like lots of you see it that way, since my flight this morning was filled with folks coming out from STL for these games.
* Rick Ankiel is making progress but still not playing. He’s hopeful that we’re only talking about a couple more days.
* Troy Glaus and Chris Duncan were outside PETCO Park, signing autographs, when the explosion took place at the Hilton construction site a couple of blocks away. They said it was very loud and very jarring, even from the players’ entrance to the ballpark. Both said they could feel a concussion blast hit them as well as hearing the explosion. Thankfully it sounds like everyone survived, although some of the injuries were pretty significant. Best wishes to everyone who was hurt. No Cardinals personnel were injured in the blast.
* I’ll have something on Mike Parisi’s adjustment to relief and to big league life later this evening.
* STL lineup: Schumaker CF, Barton LF, Pujols 1B, Ludwick RF, Glaus 3B, Molina C, Kennedy 2B, Wellemeyer P, Izturis SS.
* Toot-my-own-horn dept.: I actually have copies of my book in hand. It really does exist. Not in stores yet, and Amazon still lists it as a pre-order, but it does exist. Very exciting stuff.
* Shameless plug dept.: I’ll be on “the Press Box” with Frank Cusumano tomorrow morning at I believe noon CT (that’s morning out here).