Saturday afternoon tidbits, tons of 'em
Lots of bits of news to bring you this afternoon from sunny Fenway.
* Molina is out today. He said he feels the same as he did yesterday, but he did not do as well in the imPACT screening today as he did yesterday. So he is on the bench. TLR said he could pinch-hit if needed.
* Still waiting to hear on Izturis, who is meeting with Dr. Paletta today. It seems likely that they will make a move if only to keep from being so short-handed. Per TLR and other sources as well, they would NOT call up a middle infielder if they make a move tomorrow — instead the expected callup would be Nick Stavinoha.
* Wellemeyer threw a bullpen today and said it went very well. He will throw a light bullpen on Tuesday after the off day, and will be slotted in the rotation either Thursday in Detroit or Friday in KC.
* TLR professed significant optimism regarding Pujols, who will join the team to work out in Detroit. There seems to be a real hope that he could be activated when he’s eligible, which would be Thursday in Detroit.
* It’s an open question as to who will pitch the ninth if they have a lead today. TLR mentioned several candidates — Springer, McClellan, Perez and possibly Isringhausen — but said he does not plan to funnel it to any one pitcher. More a play-it-as-it-goes kind of thing.
* Clement’s line last night was bad (six runs in three innings). And unlike with Mulder the day before, there was no mitigating it. TLR: “I don’t think it was a plus outing, from what I heard.”
* Miles at 2B and Kennedy at DH, as was the plan yesterday before Molina was semi-scratched. TLR said it’s not simply a matter of preferring Miles defensively. Quote: “One guy is fresher. I mean, they’re both fresh, but Miles needs the playing time.”