Friday evening tidbits: Carp, Waino, etc
Greetings from Cincinnati, where it’s a beautiful night.
* Carpenter was placed on the DL with a strain of the teres major muscle in the back of his shoulder. Brian Barton was activated in his place. Per Dave Duncan, they’re aiming for the Aug. 29-31 series in Houston for him to be back in the rotation.
* IF everything goes really well for Wainwright tomorrow night at Springfield, his next appearance could be for the Cardinals. IF. And still no official declaration on how he’ll be used.
* LaRue is starting tonight, but it’ll be Molina the next two games. TLR didn’t say this explicitly, but I seem to recall that they like the way LaRue and Thompson have worked together.
* Ankiel in LF again tonight. TLR: “I think he’s still running with some restraints. I think when you see him in center field, you’ll know he’s 100 percent.”
* If you haven’t heard “Stay Positive” by The Hold Steady, go find it. Wow. My favorite new album in months — dating back at least to the Foo Fighters late last year and honestly I’d say even longer than that. Just killer.
* T-minus 13 days till college football kicks off. I’ll have a full top-10 in a few days, but I think my preseason No. 1 is Ohio State. Georgia is pretty awesome, but I can’t see any weaknesses on that tOSU team. Scary, scary bunch.