Two posts in one day, or, more on TLR's chat
See, I told you I intended to blog more.
There’s a story going up on the site regarding the main topic from our talk with TLR today, which was the ninth inning. But here’s a summary of that and some of the other various topics.
* Fuentes just wanted to pitch in California. “I just think we weren’t going to get him unless we paid ridiculously.”
* They’re looking at potential starters from other teams to make into a closer, and talked to one guy’s agent about that very topic at the Winter Meetings.
* No intention of doing that with one of their OWN starters. Would only do it with Carpenter if it was best for his health. If health allows, Carpenter is starting.
* Juan Cruz and Brandon Lyon are in their picture, but Cruz’s Type A status and perhaps his price are negatives.
* Someone like Saito or Cordero, with health questions, he’d be OK with IF that guy passed a physical. I still think this is unlikely.
On the outfield…
* Acknowledged that they have a lot of OFs, and could still do a deal.
* Re: Rasmus: “He’s got the kind of ability that, when he’s ready to play, somebody gets pushed aside.”
* Also re: Rasmus: “If there was a deal that was helpful to our club involving one of our outfielders, then it seems like that would be a good move to make, and push Colby. I think he’s ready to be pushed. I have no problem pushing him because he’s got exciting ability. But right now, with what we’ve got, who do you push aside? But if there’s a trade there for something you need…”
* Didn’t really answer a question about Schumaker getting a look in the infield, but did say they’ll give Mather some reps there in spring.
* Sounded like he considers 2B something of a question mark, with Kennedy the favorite but not a lock. Mentioned Ryan and Barden, among others.