Saturday camp tidbits
Well, first, it’s Valentine’s Day, so above all else, a Happy V-Day to my beloved Mrs. Dude, who I wish could be down here in Florida with me. They couldn’t start Spring Training on the 16th?
Anyway, on to the tidbits. Plenty to report today.
* All pitchers and catchers were present and accounted for.
* Mitchell Boggs got some good news about his tight right shoulder. The tentative plan is to rest him for a few days, let the anti-inflammatory medication take effect and re-evaluate him early next week, but we were told that the concern level is lower than it was yesterday.
* Matt Scherer has some forearm tightness; unclear at this point how severe the issue is.
* Nick Stavinoha is in fact working out at catcher, but it’s not a position change in any kind of long run. He’s just helping out at a time when the team needs as many catchers as possible.
* Francisco Samuel caught a lot of people’s eyes with his bullpen session today. It was well known that Samuel throws hard, but what I and some of my colleagues noticed was the ease with which he brings that heat.
* Two members of the band Disturbed dropped by camp today. And no, sorry Mrs. Dude, I did not procure any photos/autographs/etc. They didn’t really mingle with us scribes.
* Funny moment of the day: Rick Ankiel was talking up Skip Schumaker, and noted that if he (Ankiel) is in the outfield and Schumaker is at 2nd base, “
If you guys can show me a better relay combo, I want to see
it.” To which Chris Duncan promptly piped in, “Me and Eckstein!”
Welcome to Spring Training.
Maps, “So Low, So High”
Kanye West, “Love Lockdown”
Kasabian, “Club Foot”
Gran Ronde, “Wisdom”
Doves, “There Goes the Fear”