Monday camp tidbits: Ludwick deal imminent
Hello from sunny, breezy, slightly cooler Jupiter. Very nice day, and best of all, Arti Gras ends today — so soon we’ll be able to get to the park much easier.
* Ryan Ludwick and the Cardinals front office skipped their flights to Phoenix, and a contract agreement is imminent. Could be this afternoon or tonight, could be tomorrow morning. But it’s going to get done.
* Albert Pujols told me this afternoon that he’s not playing in the World Baseball Classic. That was all but a done deal. Now it’s a done deal.
* Larry Walker has arrived to fill his usual duty as a part-time instructor helping out the outfielders.
* Khalil Greene, Jon Jay and Brian Barton reported today, leaving Troy Glaus as the only player who did not report early.
* TLR told us today, in not a big surprise but still a bit of news, that Skip Schumaker and Joe Mather will work as infielders during the workouts between now and when games begin. As the club goes through various drills, Schumaker will work at second base and Mather at third, rather than either one with the outfielders.
* TLR and Mozeliak both answered questions about the possibility of a Jason Isringhausen reunion. Long story short: not a great deal of enthusiasm on the club’s side.
* Not news, but just to let you know: I’ll have a big Chris Carpenter story going up in the morning, on StLCardinals.com as well as hopefully on MLB.com.
Today’s playlist is all R.E.M., culled from the late 90s:
“The Great Beyond”
“So Fast, So Numb”