Thursday camp tidbits: Pineiro is in (UPDATED)
Another gorgeous day down here. We’ve been very, very fortunate with the weather thus far. Today also brought the most compelling on-field action to date, as several projected members of the Major League pitching staff threw live batting practice to Cardinals hitters.
On to the tidbits…
* TLR said that Joel Pineiro is one of the five starting pitchers. Not necessarily earth-shattering news, but for those who thought it might be more of an open competition, it doesn’t sound like that will be the case. Pineiro would have to falter significantly, and somebody else really thrive, for the starting five to change.
* Skip Schumaker was hit in the stomach by a chopper off the bat of Joe Mather during live BP. He was OK, but it was scary for a moment — and no doubt painful for Schumaker.
* Mitchell Boggs did NOT throw today, as many of us expected. We’ve been told maybe tomorrow, and
as of this moment I don’t know whether it was setback or miscommunication. Will follow up on that. UPDATE: I talked to Boggs a few minutes ago, and he said he’s coming along just fine. He’s long-tossing and hopes to get on a mound tomorrow or Saturday. There has not been a setback.
* TLR said that Dave Duncan had some very complimentary things to say about Blake Hawksworth’s throw yesterday. And to my eye, Hawksworth looked very good in that live BP session. As one front office member noted, “the clock is ticking” on Hawksworth, once considered one of the best prospects in the organization.
* Among those who threw live BP today: Joel Pineiro (looked pretty good), Kyle Lohse (gave up a good bit of hard contact), Chris Perez (looked erratic), Kyle McClellan (pretty sharp), and Jess Todd (looked quite good). From the “nothing-in-Cardinals-camp-is-an-accident” file: Albert Pujols was one of the hitters in the group that faced Pineiro.
* They filmed the new round of “Play Like a Cardinal” TV spots today. Not sure who all was involved or what all of the spots will be like, but one involved several of the outfielders, including Ryan Ludwick. They were being filmed inside the stadium this morning and afternoon. Additionally, tomorrow is photo day.
* Come back this afternoon for a photo gallery. I took a ton of pictures today, I’d guess 40 or so, and I’ll be posting them later today.
Garbage: “When I Grow Up”
The Ting Tings: “Shut Up and Let Me Go”
Nine Inch Nails: “Discipline”
U2: “Get On Your Boots”