Friday camp tidbits: Raz in the nine spot?
Hello from breezy and cool (for Florida) Jupiter.
* TLR was asked about the possibility of Colby Rasmus being the No. 9 hitter, and he was open to it. If Schumaker is on the roster as the 2B man, then there’s not really an obvious No. 9 hitter — unless somebody like Brendan Ryan or Joe Thurston wins the 3B job.
* Adam Wainwright threw live BP to a group that included Albert Pujols, Skip Schumaker, Yadier Molina, Khalil Greene and Joe Mather. And he looked very good to my eye. Fastball down to both sides of the plate, good breaking ball, and very little hard contact.
* Also throwing live today: Wellemeyer, Trever Miller, Motte, Kinney, among others.
* Chris Carpenter is scheduled to face hitters for the first time tomorrow, so obviously that’ll be a little bit of a frenzy. I’m looking forward to seeing it; I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him so far.
* Reggie Smith, the last Cardinal to hit a HR in an All-Star Game (1974), dropped by camp as a representative of a bat company today.
Radiohead: “Paranoid Android”
Living Colour, “This is the Life”
Soundgarden: “Slaves and Bulldozers”
Smashing Pumpkins: “Starla”
Jeff Buckley: “Eternal Life”