Saturday camp tidbits: Carp faces hitters
It’s another very nice day down here. Evidently it’s much more pleasant on Florida’s east coast than over on the west side of the state. So, you know, that’s excellent.
* Chris Carpenter faced a group of hitters that included Ryan Ludwick, Rick Ankiel and Colby Rasmus. His stuff was very, very good — plenty of movement, and the hitters were shaking their heads more than once. His location was not as good, though certainly not awful, and it got better as he went along.
* Ryan Ludwick still does not expect to participate in the World Baseball Classic, since it’s still his understanding that he would not be a starter for Team USA. Ludwick feels that if he wouldn’t be getting regular at-bats, he needs to be in Cardinals camp. It’s the same thing he said last month, but with some recent defections, it was worth asking whether anything had changed. It has not.
* Mitchell Boggs threw a bullpen session today and reported he felt fine. Matt Scherer is throwing long toss and hopes to be on a mound on Wednesday.
* For those who were wondering, I was told today that the Cardinals were never seriously in the hunt for Orlando Hudson, who signed with the Dodgers.
* Other impressions from live BP today: Blake Hawksworth had another very impressive session, Clayton Mortensen was very solid and Fernando Salas was a bit iffy to my eyes.
* One other note: I’ll have another photo gallery coming this afternoon.
Duran Duran: “New Religion”
Happy Mondays: “Step On”
The The: “Uncertain Smile”
Cure: “Cut Here”
Shiny Toy Guns: “Le Disko”