Sunday camp tidbits: Lohse looks better
Hello from a lovely Sunday in Jupiter…
* Kyle Lohse threw live BP today and looked much better than in his previous session. Lohse concentrated simply on throwing strikes his last time out; this time he said it was more game-oriented. And it showed. He didn’t give up much hard contact and had a nice session. He’ll throw a bullpen on Tuesday then start Thursday against the Orioles in Fort Lauderdale.
* Blake Hawksworth starts Wednesday’s Grapefruit League opener against Florida, followed by Lohse, Todd Wellemeyer on Friday at the Mets, Chris Carpenter on Saturday at home against Washington, Joel Pineiro on Sunday 3/1 “at” Florida, and Adam Wainwright on Monday, 3/2 against the Rays.
* Brett Wallace took a pitch in the back from Katsuhiko Maekawa this afternoon, but appeared to suffer no real ill effects.
* On Monday and perhaps Tuesday, the Cardinals will play “coaches games,” another term for intrasquad competition. Coaches throw BP when the Cards do scrimmages, rather than having pitchers pitch. Monday’s will take place within the stadium.
* Bill Parcells joined Ron Wolf and Bruce Hornsby among those who have dropped by camp to visit TLR.
* Talked with Brian Barton at some length today about his situation, which will lead to a feature later on this afternoon. Clearly his position is quite a bit different than it was a year ago, for a lot of reasons.
* Chris Perez’s live BP session started pretty shaky again, but as it went on he seemed to find his groove more.
Flight of the Conchords: “Robots”
Chromeo: “Needy Girl”
Beck: “Gamma Ray”
Mike Doughty: “I Just Want the Girl in the Blue Dress”
Drive-By Truckers: “Home Field Advantage”