Opening Day roster projection, first guess
This is one of my favorite traditions here at OYNAG, and it’s a little more difficult and interesting this year with all of the variables. So let’s get to it, and please feel free to contribute. The traffic has been unbelievable, but the comments have been sparse — y’all are always invited to participate, as long as you’re civil and respectful.
Starting pitchers (5)
Relief pitchers (7)
* Two days ago I told 101ESPN’s Brian Feldman, when he brought up the possibility of Barton making the team, that I just couldn’t see it. Now I’ve put it all together, and it looks much likelier than when I said that. BUT…
* One possible alternative is to replace Barton with another infielder. Essentially take 4 outfielders, 6 infielders and Mather who kind of counts as both. I can definitely see that.
* By far the hardest call at this point is the last bullpen spot. I just am guessing right now that if they have that many one-inning guys, they will take a long man in Thompson. But obviously Motte threw really well today, and he could be the Opening Day closer just as easily as he could be in Memphis.
* Next hardest is the last two infield spots. Ryan’s health will obviously be a huge factor here. If he’s out for a long time, it drastically cuts his chances of opening the season in StL. I think Mather will open the season as the 3B, and if Freese isn’t starting, I can’t really envision him on the roster. I just have a hunch about Greene, who right now is one of the early camp darlings, but I definitely would not rule out Barden. Thurston right now appears to be fourth in that race.
* I would not rule out the possibility of a LHRP signing before camp is out.
Now playing on the iPod: the wonderful “49 songs for 49 days” playlist that Mrs. Dude made for me before I left. “Without a Trace” by Soul Asylum is a really, really great song.
And one final thing: Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/MatthewHLeach.