More Saturday tidbits — all pre-arb players sign
* Some good news came down this morning, as all 17 unsigned players agreed to contracts with the Cardinals on Saturday. The club did not renew any of the 17, instead reaching agreements. The names: Mitchell Boggs, Jaime Garcia, Blake Hawksworth, Josh Kinney, Charlie Manning, Kyle McClellan, Jason Motte, Chris Perez, Matt Scherer, Brian Barden, Tyler Greene, Jarrett Hoffpauir, Brendan Ryan, Brian Barton, Joe Mather, Skip Schumaker and Nick Stavinoha.
* The Cardinals also got good news on Clayton Mortensen this morning.
According to GM John Mozeliak, the MRI exam on Mortensen’s elbow came
back negative, a development which Mozeliak called “very encouraging
news.” Mortensen is out with elbow tendinitis.
* Albert Pujols is not expected to play in Thursday’s game against the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic team. TLR’s official explanation was that Pujols will benefit from having consecutive days off (since Wednesday is an off day for the whole team), but also there’s definitely some concern that Pujols might get a bit too “amped up” for that game when perhaps his preparation isn’t far enough advanced to justify that.
* Gen. Hal Moore, the man at the heart of the story in the movie “We Were Soldiers” (and the book “We Were Soldiers Once… And Young”) will likely visit camp on Monday. TLR left flyers on every player’s stool this morning to ensure they all know who he is. Moore is just about an annual visitor to camp.
* TLR on Molina hitting second: “There was a hole there, the way the lineup was shaking out. He’s also a .300 hitter. And he stole a base yesterday — our most recent stolen base.” Obviously the last part was said tongue-in-cheek.