Wednesday tidbits: Duncan sore, Rasmus still out
This will be my last day of camp tidbits for a week. With the lovely Mrs. Dude in town, I get the next two days off, then I’ll be covering the World Baseball Classic in Miami. Hopefully blogging and tweeting from down there.
* Chris Duncan encountered some groin discomfort in yesterday’s game, which is why he was removed early. He was held out of today’s lineup as well.
* Colby Rasmus said his left hamstring is feeling fine and he expects to play tomorrow, but TLR held him out one more day today.
* Rasmus took live BP against Matt Scherer, who is on the mend following his elbow/forearm troubles.
* TLR acknowledged that ideally they prefer to have a long reliever, but that it’s not a necessity. Counted Brad Thompson and PJ Walters as the candidates for that job — said he doesn’t really think of McClellan as a viable long man.
* McClellan, however, will be stretched out until the neast week or 10 days of camp. Ryan Franklin will return to shorter, more frequent outings sooner than that. McClellan remains the primary safety-valve in case something happens to a starter for about another couple of weeks.
* For Friday’s split-squad, day-night doubleheader, TLR said that the Major League infielders will go to Fort Lauderdale while the Major League outfielders will stay back for the home game. McClellan starts the afternoon road game, while Joel Pineiro starts the evening home game.
* TLR on Josh Beckett and the Red Sox coming to town, and whether it’s good to have a marquee game like that at this point in camp: “I don’t think we’re at that point where we’re dragging. These guys have too much to play for, and we’ve had days off. But, you play Boston… They told me we’ll have 8000 people here tomorrow.”
* TLR doesn’t expect any cuts before the weekend, and it’s possible (but not likely) that they won’t do anything until after the split-squad games a week from today.
* And one more thing from the manager. He said that it’s definitely possible to go with seven infielders and four outfielders if Schumaker and Mather are both listed as infielders.
* A link for you: Cards Minor League right-hander David Kopp is blogging. His blog can be found at Cardinalsprospect.MLBlogs.com.
* And another link: I’ll be tweeting through today’s game, so follow me on Twitter.
Depeche Mode: “Wrong” (loving this tune, just loving it)
The Airborne Toxic Event: “Sometime Around Midnight”
Franz Ferdinand: “Lucid Dreams”
U2: “Bad” (the live one from Wide Awake…)
White Town: “Your Woman”