Thursday afternoon tidbits: Lohse feeling fine
It’s really a lovely evening here in Pittsburgh, which is a pleasant surprise after the afternoon was marked by dark, stormy-looking clouds. It appears that for the first time in 2009, the Cardinals will actually play the last scheduled game of a road trip (hi, Tunno!).
Here are the tidbits:
* Kyle Lohse said he’s doing just fine, and that nearly all of his various maladies are no longer bothering him. The only one that’s still an issue, he said, is that his left elbow is still a bit sore. But he threw a normal bullpen session this week and is on track for tomorrow’s game.
* TLR isn’t giving up what they’ll do with the rotation following Monday’s off day.
* Rick Ankiel is progressing well, according to the manager, and could get some at-bats in extended spring training games this weekend.
* As for the lineup, I asked TLR why he likes Shane Robinson in the 2 spot, and this was the answer: “He runs well. A lot of times he hits the ball from left-center over, which can give you first and third. He shoots that hole pretty well. Not going to say anything about the size of his target. I think he fits that spot pretty well. I thought yesterday he took some good whacks.”
There’s another factor as well, though: if, say, Rasmus hits second, that moves Robinson down to somewhere like the 6 spot. And TLR feels that Rasmus is a much better fit to hit sixth than Robinson. So it’s as much about that, it seems, as about who hits second.
* Brendan Ryan went 0-for-5 with two strikeouts in his second rehab game at Memphis last night.
No playlist for the moment, because this is already late getting out…