Tuesday tidbits: Ank approaching
It’s an absolutely perfect night at Busch Stadium, nice and mild and not too windy. Windows open here in the press box.
* Rick Ankiel is northbound as I write this. He’s coming to St. Louis tonight. Tomorrow, they’ll check him out, and if he’s cleared, he’ll be activated.
* Yesterday, I asked TLR if there was any argument to be made for starting a prime defensive infield behind Pineiro, and he essentially said no, he wouldn’t tailor his infield to his starting pitcher. Then, today, he puts out what is at least arguably his best defensive infield, including the LHH Joe Thurston against LHP Ted Lilly. IMO it’s absolutely the right thing to do; you have to have a good defense behind Pineiro.
* David Freese underwent ankle surgery today. Per John Mozeliak, it was a relatively minor surgery but nonetheless will keep him out for a good couple of months. Terrible break for Freese, who had a great opportunity this year if he’d been healthy.
* The pitcher was back in the 8th spot today. TLR noted that it was definitely in part due to the recent offensive struggles. His thought process is always, if things aren’t working, try something different.
* They’ve made no announcement as to what the corresponding move will be when Chris Carpenter is activated tomorrow. However, it sounded like Brad Thompson won’t be the odd man out. I asked La Russa if they still needed a long reliever, and he said that ideally, they do.
10,000 Maniacs: “Poison in the Well”
Death Cab for Cutie: “The New Year”
Mike Doughty: “Navigating by the Stars at Night”
Tanya Donnelly: “Kundalini Slide”
Kay Hanley: “Satellite”