Monday evening tidbits: Ryan, K.Greene, Lohse, Pujols
Monday evening tidbits from beautiful Citi Field:
* Brendan Ryan has been cleared to play after dealing with cramps recently. He said he has been told that the issue may not relate to dehydration, but rather to nutrition. He was down a few pounds from where he started the season, and said the club has had him try to put on some weight to get back to his Spring Training mark of 195 pounds.
* Khalil Greene was cleared and in the starting lineup at third base after being hit by a pitch on the inside of his right knee on Sunday.
* Kyle Lohse will throw another bullpen session tomorrow, and then again on Thursday. After that, the plan currently calls for him to throw a simulated game on Saturday. That would involve him facing hitters, and throwing three simulated “innings” of approximately 20 pitches each. If that went well, he would join the rotation before the All-Star break.
* Albert Pujols was named NL Player of the Week for the second time this year.
* First impressions of Citi Field: very nice ballpark, about on a par with Philly and Denver, two of my favorites, and not QUITE up to San Francisco, which IMO is the best place in baseball for a game. As for the vaunted concessions, first impression was excellent. Highly recommend the taco combo platter from the Taqueria in center field.
Neko Case, “People Got a Lotta Nerve”
Letters to Cleo, “Step Back”
Material Issue, “Help Me Land”
R.E.M., “Supernatural Superserious”
MXPX, “Move to Bremerton”