Friday tidbits: Mateo, Ryan, Lohse, Lineup
It’s a hot and busy Friday at Busch Stadium, with plenty of news to pass on to you. The temperature reads 93 according to the signs in the bullpens, and it feels every bit of that.
* The Cardinals have reportedly agreed to terms with 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Wagner Mateo. Reports vary a bit on the dollars, with Jorge Arangure of ESPN saying $3.1 million and Baseball America saying $3 million. John Mozeliak would not confirm that the club has a deal, but expressed optimism that the Cardinals will reach a deal with a Dominican prospect on or after the July 2 start of the signing period. More on this on the site later.
* Brendan Ryan is dealing with some soreness in his wrist, which the team is calling tendinitis. He had a cortisone shot today and likely won’t start any games in this series. Monday is probably a good guess for when Ryan can start again, though he could obviously pinch-run as early as today. Tyler Greene gets the start at shortstop.
* Kyle Lohse’s throw went well today. He threw three simulated innings, with Chris Duncan, Khalil Greene and Jason LaRue taking swings. Including warmup tosses, Lohse estimated he threw about 85 total pitches. The next step is likely a Minor League rehab start on Thursday, July 2 at Springfield. He could then slot back into the rotation on the road trip that ends the first half.
* Several members of the Rams, including first-round pick Jason Smith, visited the clubhouse today and received a tour. Smith will throw out the first pitch before tonight’s game.
* I got a peek at one of the All-Star batting practice jerseys (NL/home) this afternoon, and to my eye it looked pretty sharp. It’s red with “National” across a bat, and an arch across the top fo the lettering, and it has light blue stripes down the sides and some light blue piping. I’m not trying to sell you one, but the only image I can find online is here. It looks pretty busy in the photo, but seeing one in person, I thought it looked good.
* To combat the heat, the Cardinals stretched in the weight room today. However, they took batting practice on the field as usual. TLR said he had heard some talk of a potential time change for tomorrow’s game but that they simply weren’t able to make it work. Obviously it’d be much cooler for a 6 pm game than a noon game.
1. Schumaker 2B
2. Rasmus CF
3. Pujols 1B
4. Ludwick RF
5. Ankiel LF
6. Molina C
7. Thurston 3B
8. Wainwright P
9. T.Greene SS
And finally, you had to know what today’s playlist would look like. Some people are unwilling or unable to put aside a lot of the non-musical aspects of Michael Jackson’s career, and I certainly understand and respect that. For me, though, his music was incredibly exciting and incredibly important, and since I honestly don’t know what happened in other areas of his life, I’ll just thank him for a lot of music that meant a lot to me (and many other people) and send sympathy to his friends and family. And, of course, honor him with a playlist:
“Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough”
“Wanna Be Starting Something”
“Man in the Mirror”