Tuesday tidbits: A McGwire-free zone
You may have heard there was some news regarding Mark McGwire recently. We have covered it a bit at MLB.com. In the meantime, though, there are some other things going on with the Cardinals. So here are some other tidbits around the club from recent days:
* Spring Training dates were officially announced today. Cardinals pitchers and catchers will report to Jupiter, Fla., on Wednesday, Feb. 17 and begin workouts on Thursday, Feb. 18. The full-squad report day is Feb. 22, with full-squad workouts starting on Feb. 23.
The club had already announced its Grapefruit League game schedule, which begins with a March 4 game against the Mets at Port St. Lucie.
* In response to a question I recently received on Twitter, the following Cardinals prospects will attend the annual Rookie Career Development Program: Bryan Anderson, Allen Craig, Jon Jay and Francisco Samuel. Thanks to friend and colleague Jonathan Mayo for the info.
* I’ll be posting an Inbox before the end of the week, so if you want to get questions in, send ‘em my way. Click on this link to do so.
* Chris Carpenter won the Tony Conigliaro Award. The award is given to a player who “has overcome adversity through the attributes of spirit, determination and courage.” Another fine colleague and good friend of mine, Ian Browne of RedSox.com, wrote the story on the award. You can check that out here.
* There’s a lot going on in St. Louis and the surrounding area this week. For information on the Cardinals Caravan, click here. For Winter Warm-Up info, click here. And for details on the St. Louis Baseball Writers’ Dinner (I’ll be presenting an award!), click here.
Hockey: “Too Fake”
The Farm: “All Together Now”
Nitzer Ebb: “Lightning Man”
Gossip: “Heavy Cross”