It was another beautiful, if somewhat cool, day here in Jupiter. Very windy. Again. Lots of tidbits for you, and I’ll have two more entries going up on the blog later in the evening.
* Jaime Garcia, not Shelby Miller, will start Monday’s game in Kissimmee, while Kyle Lohse gets the home game against the Red Sox that day. I’ll have more on the fifth-starter situation later this evening.
* Monday sounds like a target day for Julio Lugo to get back to action, as well.
* Josh Kinney is scheduled to pitch tomorrow in Viera for the first time since he had an MRI and a cortisone shot on his right shoulder.
* Blake Hawksworth definitely took a step forward today. Dave Duncan said he was never really worried about Hawksworth despite some early difficulties.
* Skip Schumaker said he’s certainly not thrilled about his slump (he’s 4-for-33 on the spring) but he’s not too worried. He rolled over a couple of balls to the right side today, which is out of character for a player who tends to hit liners to the left side.
He said part of the issue is that he’s trying to go to the left side, rather than just letting his natural stroke do what it does.
* Blog entries coming a little later this evening on Mitchell Boggs’ slump and Fernando Salas’ success.
* Among those headed to Viera tomorrow for the night half of the split-squad games: Kinney, Kyle McClellan, Lance Lynn, Jason LaRue, Matt Pagnozzi, Allen Craig, David Freese, Tyler Greene, Ruben Gotay, Pete Kozma, Jon Jay, Nick Stavinoha, Amaury Cazana Marti.
Today’s playlist comes all from my Twitter followers:
Drive-By Truckers, “Birthday Boy”
Uncle Tupelo, “The Long Cut”
Broken Bells, “The High Road”
Elbow, “Grounds For Divorce”
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, “Beat the Devil’s Tattoo”