Thursday tidbits: The Reds, and storms, are coming
* The Cardinals still are not ready to announce a Sunday starter, but Jake Westbrook still looks like the most likely choice. TLR said this morning that a bullpen game isn’t really a viable option. That means they could go with Westbrook on short rest or recall someone from the Minors. The problem is that the choices are P.J. Walters, who pitched Monday and is not off to a good start to the season, and Brandon Dickson, who pitched Tuesday but is not on the 40-man roster.
* The manager also said the club is considering adding a second left-handed reliever for the Reds series. However, it’s difficult to envision who that might be, since once again, the 40-man roster is full and there are no available lefties who are currently on the 40-man.
* Lance Berkman received a preventative day off on Thursday after he played both games of the doubleheader. The hope is that he’ll play all three games this weekend.
* Nick Punto, meanwhile, came in feeling good after playing last night’s game, so he gets the start for a second straight day at second base.
* Fernando Salas and Jason Motte are unavailable to pitch today.
* Sounds like tomorrow’s game may be threatened by weather, and the rest of the weekend could be a bit dicey as well.
And, finally, the playlist, a 20-years-ago special:
Dramarama, “What Are We Gonna Do?”
Material Issue, “Li’l Christine”
Electronic, “Get the Message”
The La’s, “There She Goes”
Blur, “There’s No Other Way”