Monday Winter Meetings tidbits
Lotta stuff from today. Be sure to check out the MLB.com Hot Stove Blog, where there are all kinds of updates from the meetings, including plenty on some Cardinals targets and their talks with other teams.
* John Mozeliak and Bill DeWitt met with Dan Lozano for about an hour, and Mozeliak expects to speak with him again tonight. Mozeliak did not go into much detail as to the pace or results of the talks, but acknowledged that he wouldn’t be surprised if things pick up with Pujols and various teams in the next few days.
* Per Mozeliak, the club is not assuming it has any “last right of refusal” for another team’s offer to Pujols. He said he has not asked and team Pujols has not indicated.
* My friend and colleague Jesse Sanchez reported earlier today that the Cardinals are one of five teams in the hunt for Octavio Dotel. However, Mozeliak indicated that there’s really not much movement with Dotel right now.
* Mozeliak reiterated that the Cardinals will not be adding a starting pitcher, even if they do not sign Pujols.
* The Cardinals have spoken with Pujols directly since the season ended, not just with Lozano.
* Mozeliak acknowledged that it’s unlikely — “not inconceivable,” but unlikely — that the club has BOTH Skip Schumaker and Ryan Theriot next year. One or the other could well return, but probably not both.
And, finally, the playlist…
It’s pretty simple, I’ve been listening to one thing more than anything else lately: the new official release of the Rolling Stones’ Brussels Affair 1973 live recording. So today’s playlist is five highlights from that unbelievable album:
“You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
“All Down the Line”
“Jumpin’ Jack Flash”