Results tagged ‘ Clayton Mortensen ’
A Major League source has confirmed that a deal is in place for the Cardinals to acquire Matt Holliday from the A’s in exchange for Brett Wallace, Triple-A right-hander Clayton Mortensen and Double-A outfielder Shane Peterson. ESPN reports that Oakland will send some cash to St. Louis to help offset some of the remaining cost of Holliday’s contract.
Holliday has long been a target of the Cardinals, who talked trade with Colorado over the winter before the Rockies shipped the three-time All-Star to Oakland. He bolsters the team’s outfield and offers the cleanup hitter that manager Tony La Russa has long coveted to slot behind Albert Pujols in the Cardinals lineup.
Holliday, 29, can be a free agent at the end of the 2009 season. His current contract pays him $13.5 million, of which approximately $6 million is still due.
Wallace, 22, was St. Louis’ first-round pick in the 2008 Draft and has rocketed through the Minor Leagues. He is currently playing at Triple-A Memphis. Mortensen, 24, is also at Memphis and was a supplementary first-rounder in 2007. Peterson, 21, was a second-round selection in 2008.
Very nice day at Busch Stadium today, will probably drop into the 80s by first pitch, clear and some breeze.
* One late update: Colby Rasmus is sitting due to a hiatal hernia. He’s likely to return to the active lineup on Wednesday.
* Yadier Molina is out again today due to a bruised right thigh. He sustained the injury on Saturday in a collision with Michael Cuddyer at home plate. Molina is likely to return to the lineup on Tuesday.
“He’s still sore. He’s better than he was yesterday, and it would be a push to play him. We’re in the last two weeks of the first half. there’s no reason to do that. I expect he’ll play tomorrow.
“He got blasted right there in that muscle, and the muscle was really bruised to where he was having trouble yesterday squatting. Today he’s a little bit better but it’s still a push.”
* As already reported, Khalil Greene has been placed on the disabled list due to social anxiety disorder. Clayton Mortensen’s contract was purchased from Triple-A Memphis. Mortensen is present and available to pitch. He’s wearing No. 54.
* Brendan Ryan is back in the lineup after missing three days due to wrist soreness. He had a cortisone shot on Friday, and after the usual three days’ downtime, he’s back in there. TLR said he doesn’t expect that Ryan will be limited or restricted in how he can be used.
* Albert Pujols continues to hold a commanding lead at first base in All-Star balloting, and Yadier Molina is in the lead at catcher.
Today’s playlist, a Bay Area special:
Sly and the Family Stone, “I Want to Take You Higher”
Jefferson Airplane, “Somebody to Love”
Faith No More, “Midlife Crisis”
Rancid, “Roots Radicals”
Metallica, “Disposable Heroes”
Clayton Mortensen is on the active roster, and Khalil Greene is on the disabled list.
Brendan Ryan is back in the lineup, but Yadier Molina is still out.
Tonight’s lineup vs RHP Tim Lincecum:
1. Skip Schumaker 2B
2. Mark DeRosa 3B
3. Albert Pujols 1B
4. Ryan Ludwick RF
5. Chris Duncan LF
6. Rick Ankiel CF
7. Jason LaRue C
8. Brad Thompson P
9. Brendan Ryan SS