Results tagged ‘ Jarrett Hoffpauir ’
I can’t say there’s a lot of optimism regarding the start of this game. The tarp is out, and the forecast calls for rain throughout the afternoon. Here’s hoping.
* Brendan Ryan was a late scratch from this afternoon’s game due to what the club called “gastrointestinal distress.” Tyler Greene took his place at shortstop and in the No. 9 spot in the batting order.
* For next week’s series at Milwaukee, the Cardinals plan to start Adam Wainwright on Tuesday, Todd Wellemeyer on Wednesday and Joel Pineiro on Thursday. The weekend rotation is not entirely determined (or perhaps just not entirely announced) yet, but it’s a pretty safe bet that Wainwright and Kyle Lohse will get the two Sunday games. The only question would seem to be when to slot in Carpenter and Thompson for the first two games of that series.
* Jarrett Hoffpauir may get his first big league start tomorrow against Bronson Arroyo. Skip Schumaker is 3-for-18 against Arroyo, so TLR said it might be a good day to get Hoffpauir in there.
* No real change in Mark DeRosa’s status, though TLR said he’s making steady progress. DeRosa is unvailable to hit but could run or play defense.
Today’s playlist is culled 100 percent from the excellent music they played here this morning/afternoon at Great American Ball Park:
Modest Mouse, “Dashboard”
Stevie Wonder, “Uptight”
Sugar, “If I Can’t Change Your Mind”
Temptations, “Get Ready”
Cake, “Love You Madly”
All sorts of news at the ballpark today, where it’s a gorgeous, mild, breezy night.
* Mark DeRosa has been diagnosed with a strained tendon in his left wrist and is day-to-day. He’s expected to miss a few days but the club did not place him on the disabled list.
* Troy Glaus will begin the Florida phase of his rehab from shoulder surgery tomorrow, and the hope is that he will soon begin playing in Minor League games. He’s likely to head straight to the Florida State League to begin playing games.
* The Cardinals purchased the contract of infielder Jarrett Hoffpauir from Triple-A Memphis and optioned right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen to Memphis.
* Kyle Lohse will make a rehab start at Springfield tomorrow, and per John Mozeliak, he’s likely to make one more rehab start after that. Mozeliak said today he does not expect that Lohse’s next appearance would be for the big league club. Thus, it sounds like his first start since going on the DL would be the last day before the All-Star break, as part of that doubleheader in Chicago.
* Someone asked whether Brett Wallace had been considered for the callup today, and TLR clearly did not like that idea.
“You’ve got to be kidding me,” he said. “Whoever is saying that… are you guys pulling against him? Whoever is making those comments is pulling against him rather than for him. Just let him play. If anybody cares about this young man being a Cardinal, let him play.”
* A reminder: tomorrow night’s first pitch is at 6:15 p.m. CT, an hour earlier than normal.
* Jess Todd has been named a Pacific Coast League all-star.
Tonight’s playlist, another Bay Area special. Trying for four nights:
Grateful Dead, “Box of Rain”
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Fortunate Son”
Otis Redding, “Dock of the Bay”
Janis Joplin, “Piece of My Heart”
Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”